Monday, January 16, 2006

MLK DAY

i am reading a fabulous book called "SEARCHING FOR GOD KNOWS WHAT" by donald miller. tenelle gave it to me about 10 days ago...and i have not put it down since*.

and in case some of the commentators of my "god movie" blog are dissecting the wording of this entry, too,.......... ("I'm going to assume that your statement about taking 27 hours to read your post was sarcasm, or do fundies generally have 4th grade reading levels?")....... I have included a disclaimer at the bottom, and will strive to do so anytime I use an exaggeration in the future. I will no longer ask anyone to "assume" when I am or am not employing the device of sarcasm. (<------sarcasm)

i watched the movie Gattaca with Jason this afternoon. It seems like the guy in the wheelchair could have chosen a much more suitable way to end his suffering. (<-----not sarcasm, I'm serious about this one)

I also went to the Lake of the Ozarks this weekend, which is where I read a lot of the forementioned book, and then put it down, and then later read some more. I don't know if everyone is like this, but I really need time to just be totally alone.** I suspect that not everyone is wired this way, but I definitely am. I feel recharged.

tobe and I often discuss frequently misspelled words. not because we're nerds or because we are stuffy, or because we don't make REDiculous*** mistakes ourselves, but because we just think it's something that should be out in the open. for instance: the word DEFINITELY. often spelled DEFINATELY.

also, tenelle and I are on this "a word a day" definitions email list, and each week they have themes and one week the theme was words that have been so-widely misspelled, that they have become a part of culture. and now the misspelled version is available in some dictionaries as an alternate spelling. The most misspelled words they listed were minuscule, millenium, embarrassment, occurence, accommodate, perseverance, supersede...

I challenge you to use these words in a sentence today. all of them. one sentence. correct spelling. (<----not kidding here either, you actually have to do this.)

you can tell it is a slow sunday-ish-but-not-really-sunday type of day when you are blogging about grammar. i don't even have that great of grammar. i just like words.

and may I say a quick, but heartfelt, thank you, to MR. MLK! for all your important work. (and for the day off, too)




* I did, on some occasions, put the book down.
**When I say totally alone, I should confess that Wilbur was with me. So as not to offend/confuse/frustrate people.
***I know that this is not the correct spelling of the word "ridiculous"

8 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger brett.cantrell said...

dang yo... I just went and read all of the comments you got on that old post "god movie" wowzers thats nuts... I wish I could get that kind of response to something I write holy smokes talk about good discussion. I think I'll link to that from my blog again give more people a chance to read it.

Back to this post...
In Gattaca he had to burn himself up b/c he couldn't be found and then the other guy exposed as not being who he said he was.

And I'm not so much of a word buff and often misspell everything I type. eh, thats what spell check is for right?

I'm going to read that book soon, hopefully in the next month or so, I have a few stacked up in front of it though. I read "blue like jazz" last semester hope this ones is as good.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger amber heggestad said...

you are right about the fiery death, brett. i guess i should have gotten that. just a shame to see jude go that way.

yes, i did not finish blue like jazz, but i think i like this book better. i need to finish blue like jazz though.

hope you are well---thanks for commenting

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger allie statler said...

i feel like a fool bc i really was just like who is mr.MLK, now i feel like a jerk because i really like MLK but here is the thing maybe i would have known if you would have written Dr. MLK because that really is his name. i guess you didnt know...

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger amber heggestad said...

i know i thought that afterwards. thanks for pointing that out, Dr. Alexandra Statler. Guess you have a PH.D in awesomeness.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger allie statler said...

guess i do...

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous mark said...

howdy. I believe K Cloud gave that book to the heartland.k10 Pillars as a Christmas present. My mom is reading it now and we had an hour long discussion about the emerging church vs. seeker church vs. what h.k10 is supposed to be. (I hope it was that book). I've never really jumped on the Christian book bandwagon, ie. Blue like Jazz, but it sounds like a nice wagon and maybe someday I'll board up.

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Niki said...

Hey, you forgot to tell us whether you gave us the correct or accepted, though incorrect, spellings. Andrew and I have had to look each one up and quiz each other on them, because we're dorks. Thanks though, quite entertaining.

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what you all are talking about, but this is Jesse Bourque and came across this page out of nowhere. Wierd i know. but whoever reads this could you please tell Niki Heggestad that i said hello and i hope she is doing well.
thanks
Jesse

 

Post a Comment

<< Home